Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Making a difference.

I'm feeling so heavy after watching slum dog millionaire. I really don't know what to think. I couldn't sleep well last night just trying to process it all. The movie was well-made. There was a happy ending between the two main characters. Too bad the rest of the people were not as fortunate. That is just the reality of it.



I know that six months is not nearly long enough to see the world in all the beauty it contains, as well as all the poverty and suffering. It's not long enough to experience what others experience. But for me, it was long enough to realize that I can't go back and live the same way I did in this bubble of security while the rest of the world might be wasting away. There are bigger issues than the ones I carry in my day-to-day life.

I have big dreams. Dreams that go beyond a photography career. Who knows where God will carry me? Finally I am completely open for Him to move and direct my life wherever. I met some people throughout the past six months who have powerfully impacted my life. Being among them and seeing them give, not just money or material things, but give of themselves like none of it was their own. It really challenged me in the way I live and made me want to re-evaluate everything in my own life. I don't want to live for myself anymore. There has to be more to life than a nice house, a nice car... and, of course, nice shoes and bags! lol

I know that even in America we are facing an economic crisis. People are losing jobs. It's just not a pretty place to enter into. Still, I'm so grateful for the abundance we do have even through an economic crisis. Maybe this is just an opportunity for us to learn and relate and see the need that is outside of our own selves. And in our need, instead of drawing into ourselves, maybe we can begin to extend our hand out to others in need.

I know I can't be a part of everything because there is a need everywhere. I can't save everyone's life... I suppose. But I don't want to let that stop me from doing anything about it. It might all sound pretty crazy, but I want to live radically. I want to live counter-culturally. How God will use my photography to make a difference in the world? I don't know. Can one life like mine even make a difference? I sure hope so.

First things first! I started a house-cleaning project to sell, donate, or throw out all the things I don't need. This junk has got to go!! lol How ever did I accumulate so much of it? I am looking forward to a clean, non-cluttered room! Before and after pics to come. :)

2 comments:

Eugene said...

>How God will use my photography to >make a difference in the world?

One person can make a difference. Have you heard of "Name Your Dream Assignment?" You create a short description of what you want to do with photography, and if you win, you'll be given $50,000 to accomplish your goals. Check it out here: http://www.nameyourdreamassignment.com/

I have some ideas for it, but didn't enter the contest. However, I think you have plenty of ideas after seeing the world for the past few months!

Good luck!

Esther Julee said...

interesting. Getting on that, now! :)