Friday, February 12, 2010

Purple is not an easy color!

Here's an update on my wedding planning.  If you're here to see my recent work, please use the links to the right to navigate through the site.

I first looked for bridesmaid dresses at David's Bridal since they have a fairly large collection in various styles and colors that you can try on the spot.  I loved the Lapis color they had, but I didn't quite like any of the styles.  I was so excited, though.  I found the color that I wanted and I began building a complete color scheme with flowers and other details all around it.   Then I browsed through all the department stores looking through at all the special occasions dresses hoping to find that color, but to no avail.   I was bummed since I put so much effort into collecting ideas just to complement that color, but I learned in the end that it's good to stay flexible.

One day when I was casually browsing the Victoria's Secret website, I stumbled across the Ruched Convertible dress in purple shock and it was PERFECT... (well, almost perfect)!

I wanted each BM to wear the same color but in different styles.  I know it's a trend that some people have grown tired of, but I love having some diversity.  This was one dress that you can wear in many different ways.   It was easy.   I just had to purchase one dress and figure out what style looked best on each one of my girls.  The second big plus was I knew it was something they'd love and wear again after the wedding.



I knew going this direction, I would have to bend a little on the color scheme since it was a complete different shade of purple.  Lesson not yet learned, I began collecting ideas for the new shade of purple.

When the dresses finally did come in earlier this week, I realized the color from the photos online and the actual dress were WAY off.  I guess whenever you're purchasing anything online you run the risk of not knowing exactly what you're going to get.  The online photos were terribly deceiving though. 

Still, I was pretty excited to have one of my girls try it on.  Thankfully, the dress came with how-to-wear instructions.  It's confusing at first.  Here it's shown as:  Double-strap one-shoulder, strapless, cross-back, and twist-front halter.  We did a lot of experimentation with it, but these four were probably my favorites.



It's going to be harder to achieve the same look that I was originally going for, but I love the dress enough to keep it.  Hopefully, my florist (whom we hope to find in the next couple weeks), will give us some wonderful ideas to work with this dress, because I'm done doing the research on my own! ha

I was talking to some other brides about where they are purchasing their dresses, and I'm finding that Dessy has a great selection.  I'm also loving some of the BM dresses from Jim Hjelm Occasions, but I figured I should save my girls their money if I'm not paying for the dresses.  If I were to do it all over again, I would have probably checked them out before I decided to make my purchase.

Now, onto the guys and the ties.  I have a feeling it's going to be tough.  I found an interesting article about a study showing certain tie colors and designs are associated with certain types of people.  And purple ties scream arrogance and gaudiness and could rule someone out of a job before they've even sat down at the interview.  Read more here.

To do list for this month:
  • Wedding Dress
  • BM dresses
  • Caterer
  • Florist
  • DJ
  • Tux/suits
  • Ties

No comments: